Hay view from Castle

Hay view from Castle
Hay-on-Wye, Powys (formerly Breconshire), Wales. The "Town of Books" (and Vaughans!)

Monday, December 11, 2017

Hiraeth 2016: Dydd 21, Edinburgh, Sore Feet, Hadrian's Wall, and Hamilton

After getting home I was officially diagnosed with bone spurs. While they may help to keep me out of Vietnam and make me President some day, they are an extreme pain. The hike up Yr Wyddfa (Mt. Snowdon) did me in. After wandering around Edinburgh for a day, my feet would go no further. I went and sat in the Museum of Scotland (free internet). My wife went with the group to climb Arthur's Seat (still on my bucket list with better shoes and ibuprofen).

Our group with healthy feet on Arthur's Seat
I did see a few more sites in Edinburgh.

To prove I was in Scotland
Even with sore feet, I have a good eye for the monuments.

The Scott Monument, as in Sir Walter
Sir Walter, the Scot(t)
The Scott Monument on the left. Edinburgh Castle up on the right above the bridge.
The Museum of Scotland really is a great place.
And I would have wandered around a bit if my feet were functioning.
After leaving Edinburgh, we headed for a stop at Hadrian's Wall.
One thing to love about British place names; sometimes they are just spot on.

Professor Tom lecturing "on" Hadrian's Wall while I looked for marauding Picts over my shoulder
Some people have amazing adventures walking the wall across England. It is not the border with Scotland.
Romans were here
My wife finally made a friend of Professor Ron's daughter. She recognized a natural grandma.
It might be because she had custody of her Peppa Pig
Riding on these long trips in the BYU van, the young women in front were in charge of the music. We listened to Hamilton: An American Musical enough times to get us hooked. Abounding in irony as we cruised through Britain, we especially enjoyed the King's ditties:

Oceans rise, empires fall
We have seen each other through it all
And when push comes to shove,
I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love

Da dada da da
Da dadada dayada
Dada da da dayada

I even did a little cheering at the Battle of Yorktown, 1781. Yes, the World turned upside down!

We won, we won, we won, we won!

Yes, I could live in Britain. I hope they call me on a mission there. It is the Land of my Fathers and Mothers. But I could never be a citizen of the UK as I would have to submit to the sovereignty of that corrupt royal family consisting of accidents of birth. Over there, I am a Republican (even if not, definitely not, in the US of A!)
_________________
click here to return to Wales! and Tretower!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but are screened for propriety and relevance.