Hay view from Castle

Hay view from Castle
Hay-on-Wye, Powys (formerly Breconshire), Wales. The "Town of Books" (and Vaughans!)

Monday, December 1, 2014

Llanfoist Tithes, Page 9: Now Indexed for John Vaughan

Let's hope the Centerville South Stake meets its Family Search Indexing Goals without me. I did my few hundred (Brazilians, off the Rio de Janeiro Registro Civil). Now I'm obsessed with the tithing maps from Archives Wales, that is Archifau Cymraeg, y Prosiect Cynefin. I love fixing the data points to link the old maps to the modern. I did one from Llanieu, close by Talgarth and Glasbury and really difficult because it was up the side of the Black Mountain.

Here's what the indexing part looks like from Llanfoist:


I left the Vaughan rental from Margaret Lewis highlighted. They do pretty well in allowing data to be put in where the rectangular boxes show up in the correct column. I had trouble with shillings and pence on Plot 81, so I guess they have a few bugs to work out. My rudimentary Cymraeg helps me understand the Welsh spellings and names of places like Caer Ffynon, "fort spring," Caer, being a related word for Carreg, "crag" relating to "stone." And ffynon, well, I feel a Stevie Nicks song coming on for that much beauty.

We'll get more pages in as we try to find the rest of the Mormon converts from Llanfoist. Elizabeth Davies was one, but she was married to a James Davies so Charles and Elizabeth Davies on this page are not likely to be them.

More work to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome, but are screened for propriety and relevance.